In summer 2012, the Friends of Bonnechere Parks launched the Footprints In Time (FIT) Trail Enhancement Toolkit, produced collaboratively with various cross-sectorial partners.
The FIT Trail concept is designed to:
- help us look differently at the outdoor pathways and open spaces that surround us,
- to seek out the natural and cultural stories that have shaped these places, and
- to appreciate their relevance to who and what we become as individuals and communities.
Feedback to this pilot project has been very positive, culminating in June 2012 when the FIT Trail project was recognized by the Canadian Parks Council with an Ontario Merit Award.
Currently Friends, in partnership with KidActive and PAN-RC, are developing a business case to explore the opportunities for developing a FIT Trail network. We see this as a win-win opportunity for municipalities, parks and Friends organizations throughout Ontario.
- Local strengths
- Accessible spaces
- Existing initiatives
- Combined expertise
- Integrated trail enhancement system
- Effective and affordable interpretation tools
- Increased access to enhanced outdoor spaces
- Promotion of Ontario’s natural and cultural heritage
- Brand identity
- Step-by-Step How-To Manual
- Museum-on-a-Stick Interpretation Posts
- Turtle Island Time Machine
- Graphic Templates for Interpretation Blades
- Original Footprints in Time Action Song
- Sample Leader’s Guide
- Inventory of Experiential Activities
- Join the FIT Facebook Group
- Follow us on Twitter: #FITtrail
- Like us on Facebook
- Comment on our Facebook postings
- Retweet our Tweets
- Complete the FIT Survey
- Email the Friends for more information
- Contact Us if you are interested in being part of a regional FIT Trail hub
This project was made possible by funding from the Ontario Ministry of Health Promotion and Sport.